Samsung Galaxy S5 is a snappy mobile phone. It has the right feature set that any mobile enthusiast would love and it also has an amazing camera and processor for people who just want to have an awesome phone right off the bat.
But, as powerful as the Samsung Galaxy S5 can be, the basic operating system it comes with may not be suitable for all. You see, a lot of people hate the TouchWiz UI interface. This is the basic interface you get when you use Samsung mobile phones.
Wouldn’t it be nice if you were to get a slimmer version of the Android operating system? And, wouldn’t it be nice if you can add a little bit more functionality to it, other than the default?
In today’s article, I will suggest to you a custom ROM tailor made for the Samsung Galaxy S5. The SlimKat ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S5 is one of the most popular custom ROM for the mobile phone.
Why do people love SlimKat? Well, it is because SlimKat is a slimmed down version of the Android KitKat (Android KitKat is the ROM that the Samsung Galaxy S5 comes with). The ROM is slimmed down in a sense that all of the pre-installed crapware are gone, leaving you with a clean and bloat-free operating system.
What’s more, there are a few nifty things that were added to the custom ROM as well; such as the ability to tweak system settings such as the Custom Kernel, for example.
So, what should you do to install the Slim ROM on your Samsung Galaxy S5 mobile phone? Here are all the things that you should do:
- Download the latest version of the Slim ROM from their official website. Make sure that you download the appropriate version for the appropriate model of the phone (in this case, a Samsung Galaxy S5). Why is the version so important? This is because if you flash a ROM that is not intended for your mobile phone, you will instantly brick your phone when flashing the ROM. Brick is a term that is used for phones that are only for paperweight because the system is unable to start.
- Root your phone and Install a custom Recovery. You can use ClockWorkMod or TWRP, they work both pretty well.
- If you’re using CWM, do a factory reset, wipe cache, and format system
- If you’re using TWRP, go to the Advanced Wipe section and wipe dalvik, cache, system, and data
- Download Gapps or Google Apps and put this, along with the Slim ROM file, into the root of your SD card.
- Flash the Slim ROM
- After successful flashing of the ROM, flash Gapps
- Reboot and wait for a couple of minutes and you’re good to go!
Always remember to download the appropriate ROM for your phone as failure to do so would result into a brick.
If you want to have a barebones custom ROM for your Samsung Galaxy S5, the Slim ROM is a good choice.